Everyone suffers from aches and pains at one time or another. The cause and severity of these pains will help you determine the best course of treatment. At Bayview Village Wellness Centre, we offer physiotherapy and massage therapy in North York, but which one is best for you? Read on to find out.
What is Physiotherapy?
Physiotherapy is used to treat those with limited mobility and pain as a result of illness, disability, or injury. Physiotherapy near you helps such people regain function and movement through education, exercise, and manual therapy. Some reasons that one may opt for physiotherapy include:
- Stiff muscles– if you have had a sports injury, fracture, or sprain, then a physiotherapist can work with you using joint mobilization and manipulation exercises to reduce your pain and get your muscles moving smoothly again.
- Mobility problems– if you suffer from mobility issues after an injury such as a broken bone or strain, physiotherapy in North York can help you regain balance. It can also help treat conditions such as multiple sclerosis and arthritis.
- Surgery– sometimes, a doctor will suggest seeing a physiotherapist after surgery to help with healing and recovery. This is especially helpful for patients who have had joint replacement surgery or heart surgery.
- Old injuries– sometimes, the effects of an old injury can resurface, specifically if you didn’t properly address it when it first occurred. This can lead to recurring discomfort and pain. Physiotherapy is designed to address both old and new problems, so it can be very helpful in this situation.
It may be helpful to know that you don’t always have to visit a hospital or clinic for physiotherapy, and many places offer in-home physiotherapy services. This is where a physiotherapist visits your home and is great for patients with severe mobility issues.
What is Massage Therapy?
Massage therapy is another treatment that works to relieve pain and tension in your muscles and body. Massage therapy near you uses the manual manipulation of soft body tissues, including tendons, muscles, ligaments, and connective tissues, to alleviate your discomfort and enhance your quality of life. Some reasons that individuals get massage therapy include:
- Depression and anxiety– if you suffer from chronic depression and anxiety, you may benefit from massage therapy. Massage therapy increases dopamine and serotonin levels in your brain, helping to stabilize your mood and relax your body.
- Circulation improvement– if you have poor circulation, massage therapy can help ensure that your circulation improves. It also helps with posture and flexibility in your joints, leading to long-term improvement of circulation.
- Pregnancy– you may have heard of a prenatal massage, which is where a registered massage therapist performs massage treatment to alleviate uncomfortable symptoms associated with pregnancy. Some symptoms that massage therapy may help alleviate include lower back pain, headaches, and swelling in the joints.
- Pain– perhaps the most common reason people get massages is to relieve muscle tension and pain caused by strains, sprains, and other injuries. Those with conditions such as arthritis and fibromyalgia can find some relief with regular massage therapy.
Visit Bayview Village Wellness Centre
As you can see, both of these treatment options can provide relief for a wide variety of patients with several different problems. If you feel that you could benefit from physiotherapy or massage therapy, please do not hesitate to contact our team at Bayview Village Wellness Centre today!